Built in the early 20th century on the initiative of the observer (Science scientists, Entrepreneurs, and the Government of Netherlands East Indies). Its principal funder is K.A.R. Bosscha, a tea plantation industrialist in Malabar. In 1923, it is officially managed by the Nederlandsch Indische Sterrenkundigo Vereeniging (NISV). In 1959, UNESCO and the government of Indonesia donated Schmidt reflector binoculars for survey of the southern sky.