The museum was built in 1977 with traditional architecture Palembang over an area of 23 565 square meters and was inaugurated on 5 November 1984. At first the museum was named the State of South Sumatra Province, then based on the Decree of the Minister of Education and Culture No. 1223/1990 dated 4 April 1990 the museum was named the State Museum of South Sumatra Province Bala Putra Dewa. Bala Putra Dewa name is derived from the name of a king who ruled Srivijaya VIII-IX century that reaches the kingdom Maritime. In this museum there is a collection depicting the natural shades of various cultures and South Sumatra. That Museum consists of various objects histografi felologi ethnography, ceramics, modern technology, fine arts, flora and fauna, and geology. In addition there are home Limas and Ulu native home, we can see by using public transport route km 12.